In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Assist the Plant Production staff in growing plants through mixing soil, transplanting, thinning plugs, repotting, spacing, weeding, pruning, watering, fertilizing, and sanitizing.
- Work a regular 40-hour week Monday through Friday.
- Work scheduled weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Assist staff with the delivery of plants to the gardens and grounds areas.
- Keep work and storage areas clean and organized.
- Apply pesticides to crops and growing areas as assigned.
- Assist the floriculturists and growers with the inventory control of hard goods and plants.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- General knowledge of small tools and equipment.
- Some horticultural knowledge required, with greenhouse experience preferred.
- A valid driver's license and must be insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society.
- Basic computer knowledge required, with use of spreadsheets and inventory databases preferred.
- Must have or be able to obtain an Illinois operator's license for pesticide applications.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.