At The Garden — Employment
Employment at the Chicago Botanic Garden
TITLE: Assistant Horticulturist, Farwell Landscape Gardens
PURPOSE: To maintain an attractive garden area for the education and enjoyment of visitors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Assist with the maintenance of gardens with a focus on the Farwell Landscape Garden and Bulb Garden through weeding, watering, deadheading, fertilizing, planting, removing debris, pruning, edging, mowing, mulching, winterizing, removing snow, and maintaining and inventorying tools.
- Assist the horticulturists with developing designs, and selecting and ordering plants for annual and permanent displays within the garden.
- Provide current information to Plant Records regarding plant accessions, removals, transfers, and label requirements. Label plants in a timely manner and assist with installation of accession tags.
- Serve as a horticultural resource for the Garden by leading tours, giving demonstrations, answering visitor and staff questions, and serving on planning teams.
- Work weekends on a rotational basis.
- Inform the Supervisor, Plant Health Care, of disease, insect, animal, and weed problems.
- Perform in a horticulturist’s capacity when called upon to do so.
- Assist with other projects such as events as requested.
- Maintain a good level of computer literacy for purposes of interdepartmental documentation and communication.
DEPARTMENT: Display Gardens
REPORTS TO: Horticulturist
SUPERVISES: Seasonals, Volunteers, Interns
COOPERATIVE RELATIONSHIPS: Horticulture Services, Plant Production, Visitor Operations and Programs, Maintenance, Development, Public Relations, Collections, Education.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Associate's degree in horticulture or commensurate experience with two years' experience in landscape maintenance and installation. Good communication skills, both written and verbal. Must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs.
Updated March 12, 2013
Printed March 14, 2013