The Plant Collections Specialist will assist the Garden's curators of herbaceous perennials and woody plants in collecting data on the Garden's plant collections. This person will perform literature research, review current collection holdings, determine the availability and nativity of taxa, enter data and transfer information, develop lists of new acquisitions and sources for specialized collections, conduct field checks of accessions in the living collections, and produce reports. We are looking for someone who knows plants, is detail-oriented, accurate, and passionate about plants and their cultivars; comfortable with computers; and preferably has a bachelor's degree in horticulture or botany.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct curatorial reviews and other data from the living collections and enter updates into the plant recorders database.
- Perform literature research, review current plant collection holdings, and determine redundancy, commercial availability, and nativity of taxa.
- Develop lists of new acquisitions and sources for the Garden's plant collections.
- Denote in Specialized Collections database targeted acquisitions, potential countries/ regions, and commercial sources for additions to the Specialized Collections.
- Create and produce high-quality reports.
- Other curatorial duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor's degree in horticulture or botany preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel software
- Knowledge of plants required
- Detail-oriented with strong communication and organizational skills
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.