In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Assist the plant propagator with sowing seed, stratifying and scarifying seeds, taking cuttings, making divisions, and grafting and budding.
- Assist with the care of propagules including watering, fertilizing, thinning, and repotting before they are assigned to a grower. Make occasional chemical applications.
- Assist with researching propagation techniques and record keeping, including tracking propagation requests in a computer-tracking system and recording propagation scheduling.
- Assist other growers in the greenhouses and nursery as needed.
- Prepare and present a 10-minute lecture on an approved horticulture topic to the horticulture division.
Our ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Able to work 12 months beginning in May.
- Be enrolled in a college horticulture program or related field with an interest in greenhouse and nursery management. Candidates within a year of their graduation will also be considered.
- Able to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have or be able to obtain an operator's license for chemical applications.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.