To serve visitors, members, and staff by maintaining the safety and security of the property and collections of the Chicago Botanic Garden.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining the safety of visitors, employees, and property at the Garden while enforcing Garden rules and regulations.
- Providing information and assistance to the visitor in a pleasant, professional manner.
- Working closely with Visitor Services to provide the best information and service for the visitor.
- Maintaining valid certification in CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), the use of AEDs (automated external defibrillator), and standard first aid through Garden-provided training.
- Providing emergency first aid to employees and visitors.
- Preparing accurate and clear reports of accidents, illness, theft, vandalism, or any other unusual occurrences with immediate notification to security management.
- Performing responsibilities specific to each post as assigned: Gatehouse, West Gate, Dundee Gate, Education Center, Front of Gateway, Information Desk, Elizabeth Hubert Malott Japanese Garden, Evening Island, Regenstein Fruit & Vegetable Garden, etc.
- Performing patrols including all buildings, islands, gardens, and other Garden property.
- Controlling traffic whenever needed.
- Making appropriate Security department vehicle operating and safety checks.
- Picking up and delivering people and material as needed.
- Assisting security management in other areas as directed.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Oral and written communication skills
- First aid and CPR training
- Licensed driver insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society
- Ability to work overtime as required by the operational needs of the department
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.